Sunday, March 4, 2007

Hiking at Kejimkujik

We drove to Kejimkujik National Park yesterday for a 7 km (5 mi.) hike. I love Keji - I camped there often as a child with my family, and spent weeks there every summer. I love canoeing to the wilderness camping sites on the islands, and I love hiking the extensive trail system.
My favorite hiking trail is the Hemlocks and Hardwoods trail, a loop through one of the few remaining pockets of old-growth forests in Nova Scotia. 350 year old hemlocks tower above to a thick, green canopy. Within the forest, it seems to be perpetually twilight. It is a totally magical and otherworly place. I would love to visit in the winter, but it would have been a 15 km. or so hike... so maybe some other time.

The trail we did yesterday was Peter's Point, a trail we just did in September. In the winter, the dirt road leading to the parking area for this trail is closed and groomed for cross country skiing, so that makes for a longer walk than in summer. There was 5 or 6 inches of snow in the forest. The trail follows a point of land out into Kejimikujik Lake. The tip of the point, at the trail's end, is just a short skip across water to a small island. The point shelters two sandy beaches, one facing north, and one south. It was beautiful to witness the blanketed hush. Beech and Pine

Frozen Lake


Towering Pine


Twilight brook



No comments: