Tuesday, January 9, 2007

more work on the apples

I worked on the apples last night after I got the kids to bed. Bobby was at the annual $100 buddies poker game, so I knew I had a few hours.
I traced the value sketch on a piece of tracing paper, then used the tracing paper as carbon paper to transfer the basic line drawing to a watercolour board. You can see the board circled in blue, with the top edge of the apples and pot masked off with greenish-blue masking fluid. I got a layer of paint down for the background, but didn't get a shot of it as the lighting wasn't great for photos.
The pad of paper you see is cheap watercolour paper. I'm using it here to plan what colours will go where in the painting. I drew a quick sketch of the outlines of the apples and pot, and used that to test the paints colours on.
The earphones on top of my colour wheel are also an important piece of art equipment! Last night I was playing an old Dave Matthews Band CD. I hadn't listened to it for a while, and it took me back a few years.

No comments: